Friday 23 January 2015

A POEM BY JACQUES PRÉVERT - ENGLISH TRANSLATION

NOSTALGIE AUTOUR DU FRANÇAIS
"DÉJEUNER DU MATIN" PAR JACQUES PRÉVERT
NOSTALGIA WITH FRENCH
BREAKFAST

The poem is very simple. I have translated into English to the best of my ability. A man and his wife during a breakfast session. The indifference of the man and the reaction of the lady. The sepulchral silence that reigns supreme.



Il a mis le café
Dans la tasse
Il a mis le lait
Dans la tasse de café
Il a mis le sucre
Dans le café au lait
Avec la petite cuiller
Il a tourné
Il a bu le café au lait
Et il a reposé la tasse
Sans me parler

Coffee ,into the cup,
Poured he.
Milk added he
To the coffee in the cup.
Sugar he put
Into the coffee
With a spoon
He stirred.
Drank the coffee
He kept the cup
Not a word
Did he utter .

Il a allumé
Une cigarette
Il a fait des ronds
Avec la fumée
Il a mis les cendres
Dans le cendrier
Sans me parler
Sans me regarder

Lighted he
A cigarette
The smoke
Curling up
Discarded the ashes
Into the tray
Not a word
Did he utter
Not a look
At me .

Il s'est levé
Il a mis
Son chapeau sur sa tête
Il a mis son manteau de pluie
Parce qu'il pleuvait
Et il est parti
Sous la pluie
Sans une parole
Sans me regarder.

Got up he
Put on his hat
And raincoat
As it was raining.
Left in the rain
Not a word
Did he utter
Not a look
At me.

Et moi j'ai pris
Ma tête dans ma main
Et j'ai pleuré.

And me , burying my head
Into my hands
Wept and wept.




A cette époque -la, j'étais haut fonctionnaire dans le gouvernement . La ville, c'est Pune dans l'ouest de l'Inde. J'avais 35 ans. Un de mes collègues ,qui s'est intéressé à la théologie
connaissait l'allemand et l'italien . L'orthographe de l'allemand me fait peur. Moi, je décide d'apprendre le français ,une langue internationale. Je m'inscris au cours de français à l'université de Pune. On reste fidèle à cet amour né autrefois . Mais c'est une tâche de longue haleine. Pas facile.

At that time, I was an official in the Indian Government , in Pune in the Western India. I was 35. One of my colleagues  , a theologian knew German and Italian. German spelling scared me. I wanted to learn French , an international language. I enrolled for an evening course in Pune University .  Still my allegiance to this language remains the same. But it is a Herculean task. Not at all easy.

Je me sens nostalgique . Madame le prof nous donne un papier ou se trouve un beau poème de Jacques  Prévert.Pour moi, ce poème est très touchant . Je conseille les débutants en français de lire ce poème pour le style de la langue,sa simplicité et surtout pour le profondeur de la pensée .

I feel nostalgique. The professor madam gave us a small paper containing this touching poem of Jacques Preverts.  I recommend this poem to all the beginners learning French
for its style and especially for the profundity of thought expressed.
T K Jayaraman
19/06/2014

First I wrote this piece in French . Now I translated this into English to post in my blog.

Sayee Jayaraman
23/01/2015

No comments:

Post a Comment