Wednesday 18 February 2015

NAPPING



A good news,at least for people like me.

Some may feel that it is a bad habit to nap for more than 20 minutes during daytime. Of course many extoll the virtues of a siesta of 20 minutes and not of a longer time. Once you exceed your time limit,they reel out the harmful effects of a longer slumber when you are supposed to be active.

I used to feel very guilty. For the  last several years,even while in active government service, I had been violating the 20 minutes rule with impunity. My siesta exceeds  the prescribed period many times. Even today,I violated the rule. My action added to the weight of guilt already accumulated for several years.

God is great!  Today,  I find that I had not sinned at all. I am totally relieved of my so-called sin, thanks to the findings of a study by NASA.

What does it say?

The study by NASA is endorsed by WEBMD which gives the benefits of napping for different periods.

20minutes
20 to 30 minutes
30 to 60 minutes
60 to 90 minutes
I come under the last category now. Not when I was in service.  During service,  I was in the second category.

Taking 60 to 90 minutes nap will ensure that you get REM ( Rapid Eye Movement ) sleep and as such, this type of nap is the most beneficial of them all. Once you reach REM sleep,it's almost as if the brain resets itself. One could say that it is like starting at the beginning itself. Studies have shown that a 60 to 90 minutes nap can have a dramatic effect on the brain in terms of problem solving. Here also NASA has conducted their own studies and land up with the same result.

I feel as if I have been exonerated from a very serious charge.I hope no other study in future will contradict NASA findings.

Now I can nap free of guilt  and even advocate it for all.


Sayee Jayaraman











No comments:

Post a Comment